Newburyport – A Destination for Recreation & Tours
With abundant waterways, parks, beaches and other natural resources throughout Greater Newburyport MA and Plum Island area, it’s no wonder many of our most exciting activity choices for couples and families take place outdoors. However, if you prefer to play indoors, we’ve got that covered too! For starters, you can take a dance or yoga class, tour a Newburyport area brewery, or try indoor rock climbing!
Roll into Greater Newburyport and hit our hiking and biking trails. Go birding, boating, fishing, kayaking, or surfing. Or, just let the sun roll all over you.
There’re so many things to do in Greater Newburyport you might have a tough time choosing. We’re uniquely positioned on the Merrimack River, near entry to the Atlantic ocean. This proximity to deep water and saltwater marshes allows substantial opportunities for soaking up the sun on a Plum Island beach, boating up and down the coast, whale watching, and fishing. Pull your boat up to our Newburyport public dock, choose from one of the Greater Newburyport marinas, or book passage on one of the many charter boats that operate from downtown Newburyport or Plum Island. You can also rent kayaks, surf boards, and paddle boards!
Check out Greater Newburyport’s Parks and Playgrounds
Whether you’re trying to stay fit, or tire out the kids before dinner, Greater Newburyport has plenty of places to play. Perfect for picnics, family outings, leisurely walks, mountain bike riding, horseback riding, bird watching, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and more, the Greater Newburyport MA area is home to thousands of acres of green space that is awaiting explorers who will appreciate our gorgeous natural wonders, parks, and playgrounds.
Visitors and locals alike are encouraged to enjoy these Newburyport-area parks and playgrounds:
- Atkinson Common, tennis courts and paths for walking and biking
- Atwood Park, basketball and tennis courts
- Bartlett Mall, glacier-formed frog pond and playground with swings and play structure
- Cashman Park, nautical-themed play structures, tennis and basketball courts, ball field, and public boat launch, as well as a popular vantage point for bald eagle viewing in the winter
- Clipper City Rail Trail, a 1.1 mile multi-use pathway that features extensive art installations and narrative signs
- Cushing Park, playground, basketball court, swings, and play structure
- Hale Park, quiet space with lovely landscaping and river views
- Inn Street Playground and interactive water fountain, a downtown Greater Newburyport playground for toddlers and young children
- Jason Sawyer Memorial Playground, play structures and basketball court, just steps from Plum Island beach
- Joppa Park and Flats, views of harbor and extensive mudflats, with popular vantage points for birders
- March’s Hill, basketball court and winter sledding
- Maudslay State Park, a 480-acre state park of gardens, forests, meadows and trails for walking, mountain biking, horseback riding, and cross-country skiing
- Moseley Woods, walking trails, a roofed pavilion for family events, and a playground overlooking the Merrimack River
- Greater Newburyport City Forest, walking loop and open space
- Greater Newburyport Skatepark, designed for beginner to expert skateboarding levels
- Parker River Wildlife Refuge, a 4,662 acre seaside sanctuary on Plum Island that’s home to 800 species of birds, plants, and animals
- Perkins Playground, sandbox, baseball diamond, tennis and basketball courts, swings and play structure
- Waterfront Park, popular green space for summer concerts, picnics, strolling, and gathering, overlooking the Merrimack River
- Woodman Park, wooded play area, basketball court and playing field
More Fun Family Things to do in Greater Newburyport
Aside from enjoying Newburyport area green spaces and waterways, local families and tourists often enjoy these popular family activities.
- Take an art class with a local artisan or gallery
- Attend an event connected to the annual Newburyport Literary Festival in April
- Train together for the next Yankee Homecoming Road Race
- Go deep sea fishing or whale watching
- Go shopping for bikes, clothes and play things
- Enjoy coffee and cocoa at one of our many cafes
- Get lost among the books and toys at local shops
- Take a guided or self-guided walking tour to explore the history of Greater Newburyport MA
- Pick your own fruit and flowers at one of our many local farms, or attend the Greater Newburyport Farmers Market every Sunday at The Tannery Marketplace
- Come to downtown Newburyport for an outdoor movie night, live music festival, or car show.
- Go bowling, play miniature golf, or hit the batting cages.
- Improve your family’s golf game by finding a public course or driving range in our business directory.
- Watch the many sailboats and yachts as they head up and down the Merrimack River.
- Come see the tall ships as they sail into town.
- Join a children’s story hour at the local library, or get involved with a local playgroup.
Don’t forget to search our Events Calendar for up-to-date listings of what to do in the Newburyport area in winter, spring, summer, and fall.