Each year, families, businesses and groups of friends become holiday elves for families in need in the Greater Newburyport community. These families are your neighbors and friends. Some have children in the public schools or YWCA childcare programs, some live in affordable housing, and some are struggling to make ends meet.
YWCA Greater Newburyport and Newburyport Youth Services feel strongly that everyone should have a joyous holiday season and need your help to make that happen. The YWCA is looking for elves that will fulfill the wishes of a family or will help make holiday wishes come true in other ways.
The YWCA has been running this heartwarming, successful program for over 7 years. Their staff elves work really hard to make this an organized, fun, and joyous experience for the volunteer elves.
Here are some ways to make the season extra special for a family in need. Your family or company can:
• Fulfill the wish list of a local family,
• Be paired with another family to fulfill the wish list (the YWCA will make the match),
• Fill stockings for single adults and elders,
• Donate gift certificates to Wal-Mart, Marshalls, Market Basket, Movie Theater, Dunkin Donuts, Ice Skating Rink, Bowling, etc.,
• Volunteer to solicit donations from area businesses.
If you are thinking of filling a sleigh or being part of a group that is fulfilling a wish list, we find that the expense runs between $250 and $500 depending on the family size. Please let the YWCA know your preference when you make a decision to adopt a family. Remember, there are options to share a family.
If you are interested, please go to: YWCAnewburyport.org and the elf link is on the home page. You can also call email email@example.com for more information.